Re: JoCaml rewritten ...

Hi,

If you want to know more about the dgc of JoCaml, you can have a look at
Fabrice Le Fessant's paper (he implemented the gc):
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lefessan/papers/index.html
As far as I understand it, the dgc is fairly robust (for instance it
uses a Lamport clock instead of a synchronized clock), and does not
consume too much bandwidth.

About your bytecode patch suggestion, there are several issues to
consider. At the moment, the only mechanism to update something in
JoCaml is to migrate to another runtime that provides modules that are
differently initialized (their code must be the same, it is checked for
safety). You might be interested to look at the theoritical work I did
on adding a form of binding based on location to the Join Calculus (the
formal model that resulted in JoCaml), which you may find at:
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~aschmitt/publications.html
(it's the safe dynamic binding paper). This is not implemented yet, but
I designed it with JoCaml in mind, and I'll try to implement it during
the rewrite.

I hope this answer some of your questions,

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.